Monday, November 16, 2009

Care Packages, Part 1

I've officially reached an age-range where my health and those around me is more fragile. Today, a close friend and former roommate began chemo. This is my second girlfriend struck by cancer.

I am thrilled to report the first friend is doing excellent and cancer-free after a year plus. This is a constant celebration of good heath. Throughout her treatment, which was months long, painful at times and emotional, I was in a position, like many, wanting to help, but not sure how. I put much thought into my monthly drop-offs and learned you can't assume the standard gifts are the right match. For instance, my first friend expressed the flower deliveries piling up felt like a funeral in her home. And then once her chemo began, she was sensitive to smells, so flowers again and certain home-cooked meals were not well-received.

Today, my thoughts are with my other friend. She has 6-7 chemo sessions at the Mayo clinic ahead of her, as well as the holidays and the daily life of her family of 5. It's a lot, so any amount I can do, I want to give.

I just returned from the first of many deliveries for her. I decided I will share my gift-giving process with my followers. This is meant to be helpful to those that may find themselves in this position. Whether it's cancer or some other life-struggling situation our loved ones may be in, it's part of life, it happens and it's our nature to help.

So, my first drop-off consisted of healthy foods I know she's been eating and ones full of protection and powerful antioxidants - spinach, Pom juice, apples, avacados, brocolli sprouts. A bad celebrity magazine, which makes anyone feel better about themselves. The "Clean Food" cookbook, finding rich nutrients in our local food sources. Think Gum & Miracle Noodles for brain power and fun in the kitchen. All in a reusable and colorful bag.




So here's to my friend today for the first step into a full and healthy future. My love and little gifts will be in step with her all the way.

If Radar can help you with a gift of any sort for someone in need, please let me know - jen@radar-msp.com

1 comments:

Ape on November 17, 2009 at 11:30 AM said...

awesome jen!