Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Heidi's


Last night my friend Erin and I went to Heidi's for dinner. I was thrilled and a bit surprised we could get it at the prime time of 7:15, especially when I made the reservation on Monday.

I do selfishly wish Heidi's had a bar, as that is my preference when going out - it allows a more intimate dining, drinking or nibbling experience. I prefer not to lean into the table to converse with my dinner date. A restaurant bar also allows an easier walk-in experience and since I'm not such a planner when it comes to dining, knowing a bar is available opens up my chances of eating there last-minute. And that's why this is only my second time at Heidi's, Tim and I can never get in when we do a "drop-in".

Erin and I met next door at Black Bird's bar, which has such a cozy neighborhood feel and welcomes the Heidi's pre-dinner crowd. It was nice to hear the bartender say how wonderful Heidi's is, these two neighbors play nice and need each other.

Erin and I split a bottle of white, which was $26, very reasonable. Then our server told us about the "Shefzilla" surprise. I liked this concept, it was intriguing to order not knowing what was coming - so for $12 she arrived with a mystery dish of "Watermelon Shrimp Soup" that will be offered on the new updated seasonal menu next week. It was a summery, light and unique start to our meal.

Then we ordered our main courses, and afterwards, another concept I appreciated, our server offered an item not on the menu, a "tasting" of the chefs "Salmon Springroll" for $2.50. Erin and I both jumped at it, why wouldn't we?


I leaned into Erin and said, "ok, now they will really have me coming back if they offer a $2.50 dessert". I love dessert, I hate big desserts. I need a bite of sweet after my meals, a dessert "bite" concept is one I am always looking for and one I will offer someday at "my restaurant".


Our main entrees arrived, Erin had the Petite Beef Tenderloin with buttery-soaked Pomme Confit and Asparagus. I had the Sea Bass with Parsley Puree' and Creamy Mussel Foam. We both loved mine, we both loved the buttery-soaked potatoes. The tenderloin was good, not as loveable as the other items.



So then the dessert list was dropped off, no $2.50 options, that's ok, it was a lot to expect after all the former delights. We both zeroed in on the Sweet Potato Beignet with crème Anglaise, crispy sage. That too was loveable and was, small! Thank you Heidi's!

And thanks for making a Tuesday night in your cozy, Euro-style space so enjoyable and full of a few surprises.

0 comments: