Monday, July 20, 2009

A taste of local inspiration, a la Geri Wolf.

I met event planner extraordinaire, Geri Wolf, just over two years ago while looking at sites for our wedding reception. She showed us FIVE, which was not a match to what we were looking for. So we said thank you and started to head out, then Geri rattled off about 17 other event space options in 3 minutes. I listened in amazement at her determination to help and her knowledge of her "territory". After each option, my picky head would shake no, but then she mentioned, Theater Jeune Lune, the non-traditional event space which I had already tried. Geri, of course, knew the owners and said she would talk with them. And she did, in a matter of a day she had contacted them, and got back to me, her "non-client". That was my first taste of Geri's work ethic, professionalism and connections.

That day, Geri also inquired about Radar, which was in infancy. And, since then she has been an excellent source of support, networking and inspiration.

For example, last week Geri emailed me, "I'm cooking in Chambers Kitchen on Wednesday from 3 to about 6". Me, "What?". Geri, "To learn how to be better at my job, sometimes I take on unpaid internships."

So when she invited me down to the Chambers to have a taste of her creations, I was on it. And sure enough, there she was in chef whites surrounded by stainless steel and Executive Chef Chris Damskey and his staff. Geri brought out her rice cracker encrusted tuna, had a sit and chat with me, and also introduced me to Chef Damskey.




Yep, that's Geri, the "firm believer that if you aren't learning something new every single day, you're not living up to your potential". So she's been doing unpaid "internships" with some of her vendors to learn other parts of the event world.

To be inspired yourself and hear direct from Geri about her Chambers Kitchen experience and her many other "to dos", check out her blog, Eventful Ramblings and her event-planning business, Styled Laboratory.

0 comments: