Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ready for a (Sea) Change?

I am clearly not alone in my love of Tim McKee's food. The James Beard Foundation likes him too, so much so, he won the "Oscar's" of the food world award for "Best Chef in the Midwest".

Tim's had quite a year, his on-going successful La Belle Vie restaurant continues to thrive, as well as Solera, then this year he opened Barrio Mpls, Barrio St Paul, Smalley's in Stillwater, 423 Main St S # A Stillwater, MN 55082-5180, (651) 439-5375 and the official opening today of Sea Change, at the Guthrie Theater, 806 Second Street S. Minneapolis, MN 55415.

I've been to Sea Change twice already. Fine, I'll admit to stalking Tim, I know I'm not alone in this either. So of course, Tim seems to know his seafood. My first visit to Sea Change, I focused on my favorite way to dine, ordering several small plates. So the bar menu was ideal for this - there were options of intensely fresh seafood, as well as other unique meat options. I tried the Beef Tartar, Tempura Chicken Wings, Ahi Tuna and my personal fav - Shrimp Linguini w/truffle oil. All betw $8-11, crazy prices for Tim McKee-quality food.

My second visit, we had the Octopus, charred with a variety of salsa verdes, the Tuna with watermelon, mint, jalepeno and lemon-infussed oil.



Sea Change offers a 3-course, pre-theater dinner, designed to get you in and out to your show in plenty of time. Also, daily fresh West and East Coast Oyster Bar.



Then I checked out their lunch menu, below, prices between $8-$13 for Tim's cooking, wow!


Outdoor dining also available, this time along Second St, in front of the Guthrie. The space is surrounded by beautiful flower pots and green umbrellas.


Decor has been enhanced with a modern green color accent, which after the second visit I really took in and fell in love with. The large dining room has been given the right attention, bringing an intimacy to the space with several warm wood bookcase-like dividers. The space overall is cozier. And my husband Tim, was thrilled to see the flat TV screens, which do not over-take the bar, but allow a more homey feel.




So if not for today's opening, please go to Sea Change, and once you have tasted this man's food, you'll start stalking him too.

2 comments:

Amy on July 21, 2009 at 11:20 AM said...

I was there last week for drinks with friends--we had that octopus and tuna as well, plus the pork belly/fried oyster sliders and the beef skewers. It was SO GOOD.

b'jones on August 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM said...

I was there on July 21 and would have liked to linger, but had a 7:30 p.m. curtain. The Beet Salad is to die for and the Artic Char was incredible. Do not even get me started on dessert, the wine, or the Door Gin Martinis!