Sunday, August 3, 2008

Take Me Out(side) To the Ballgame

My husband, Tim, has been a Twins fan his whole life, and being from Chicago proves his love is true. From May to September, his vocabulary oozes Twins - from players names, daily stats, to trades, wins, loses, standings, to the locker room antics. Although he loves his Twins, he loathes the Dome. And I have to agree.

This past Friday, Tim brought his son Max and me to our first Cubs game at Wrigley Field. Now I have sat through a few Twins games at the Dome (today in fact), enjoying the sport, but wanting to escape the blue sea of plastic and bad 80s music. And Friday? I couldn't get enough of Wrigley. In every way, this IS how baseball is meant to be played and experienced. The adventure starts with the traffic, the hum of the fans, the buzz of the vendors, the solid pack streaming into the standing room only 94 yr old temple, called Wrigley Field.

Why am I blogging about something anti-local? Because in 102 home games, the Twins will be, like the Cubs, playing baseball like it's suppose to be played, outside, under the sky and in the open air. And I truly can't wait. I hope for traffic, hums, buzzes and standing room only.

Oh and if you're wondering, the Cubs lost, but who cares... it was a day with my family and the summer sky.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I found your blog through the magic of Google was looking for "Free Arts MN" and "supporters" - I see that you are this! -I am curating an art show + aution in support of Free Arts MN (December 13 at Art Of This gallery) and was trying to find local businesses that might be interested in donating food or wine. - now, you are not a business, but I thought you might be interested in coming!

Warm regards, dig the blog.

Jackie
headedup@gmail.com

Nicole on August 22, 2008 at 1:15 PM said...

I am excited to see the extension of downtown, that is 'Twins Territory', too! With the new stadium, the extension of the light rail, the Northstar Commuter train, etc, I'm sure it will be buzzing!